Click Here!

Home

Baby and Pets

My two dogs lived outside before my daughter was born, and we had a good size yard for them to run and play in, so they were happy outside. During my pregnancy I was too sick to walk them so they became used to me just sitting outside with them, instead of their usual activities of walks every day with me.

Planning ahead is important to keeping your pets happy when your baby arrives.

For expected parents who have dogs or any pets living inside, it might be a good time to start leaving them outside for some of the time, so they get used to this different routine, for when the baby arrives. If you have a big yard that’s great, but if you don’t maybe see if you can get a friend to walk your dog, if you were as sick as me, otherwise start getting your dog used to walking a certain times and used to a different schedule, as they just want their exercise to, until you get back on your feet and ready to take baby and dogs out together.

If your dogs are inside dogs, get then a kennel so they have somewhere to sleep and hide if needed while in the house. Babies like routines just like animals do. After your baby arrives you will have less time for your pets, so try and take some time out of your day to play with your dog. Most pets will accept a new baby with no problems, also make sure your pets are up-to-date with all their vaccinations.

After my daughter was born, I introduced my dogs to her a little bit each day from the day we got home from the hospital. You just never leave a baby or child unsupervised with any animal even though I trusted my dogs, it’s just not worth the risk. Our dogs were wonderful with her, letting her sit with them, or lie beside them when she was just starting to crawl around as she got older. It was amazing to watch how good they were with her. Dogs are a man’s best friend.

I also think our dogs were just happy to be going out on walks with me again each day (after such a long time of me being to sick to walk them during my pregnancy) and taking baby along with us, was just a bonus for them, as they were very protective of the pram/stroller when ever my daughter was in it.

It’s amazing really but I’m sure my daughter recognises their barks from when she was in my belly, as she has never been afraid of our dogs, even when they can get loud barking, and loves hugging them now she can walk. All babies are different though just remember that, mine just happens to love all sorts of animals, from lizards and frogs up to dogs and horses. Where as my friends daughter doesn’t like dogs or any animals and runs to her mum whenever she sees a dog coming, so just judge your child’s reaction and take it from there.

As my daughter has gotten older I’ve had to explain to her NOT ALL dogs are friendly, and you MUST ask before patting anyone else’s dog or any sort of pet.

So basically get your dog or pet used to the changes that are coming, so they are not jealous when another person is taking all of your attention away from them. Especially if that pet has had the run of the house up until now. Make sure your pet knows to stay out of baby’s room, you can start practising this early on when you are setting up your baby’s room.

If you have a indoor cat, you might want to start getting it used to being outside, as it’s not good to have cats around you while you are pregnant, and never clean out litter trays or go anywhere near there poo, as they can carry nasty diseases called toxoplasmosis which are harmful to the unborn baby, leading to problems later in life. My husband had outdoor cats before we got married and I wouldn’t even go out an feed them while I was pregnant as doctors had told me all the diseases they might or might not carry, and it was scary to know how it could affect my unborn baby.

Cats especially don’t like change, so plan ahead and try and get them used to what is coming, if you plan on putting them outside during the day and only bring them in at night, that is your personal choice. If their outdoor cats already all the better.

The best advice is to keep all pets outside until your baby is bigger and crawling around in the house, at least then they can get away from something if they don’t like it.

I found my daughter enjoyed watching the fish swimming around in our fish tank, it was relaxing and seemed to keep her occupied for awhile. She also liked me taking her to the pond to watch the koi fish with all their pretty colours and a lot bigger for her to find.

So hold off on getting any animals for children until they are old enough to understand about looking after them, as it will end up just being more work for you Mum, unless your OK with that. I know a cute bunny for Easter sounds great, or a puppy under the Christmas tree, but definitely ask the parents before you get their child one. My daughter and I are on the go and travel a bit, so animals are something for the future for us when she’s older, but that’s ok, we still see plenty of animals including kangaroos on my parents property and my sisters dog. My daughter tells the dog I’m your second Mum.

If you have any baby and pet stories you’d like to share please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment